Look at the picture: The onion is bigger than the lime. The lime is smaller than the onion.
Rules for unequal comparatives:
1-Syllable words: word > word+er than
Adjectives: big, tall, fat, small, slim, plump, long, short, sweet, cool, hot, cold, warm,
big > bigger than tall > taller than fat > fatter than small > smaller than
2-Syllable words that end in “y”: wordy > word+ier than
happy, healthy, crazy, silly, slimy, dizzy, stinky, shady, nasty, bumpy, silky, scaly
happy > happier than healthy > healthier than crazy > crazier than
2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,… Syllable words: word > more word
2: awful, frigid, useful, helpful, mature, distant, super
more awful than, more frigid than, more useful than, more helpful than,
3: different, wonderful, difficult, excessive, outstanding, fantastic, majestic,
more different than, more wonderful than, more difficult than
4: interesting, incredible, immaculate
more interesting than, more incredible than, more immaculate than
5: unbelievable, uncomfortable, imaginable
more unbelievable than, more uncomfortable than, more imaginable than
In general, men are taller than women.
Who is older – you or your sister?
It’s hotter today than it was yesterday.
Write comparative sentences about the following pieces of fruit and vegetables:
1. An apple is ______________ than a lime. (size)
2. The lime is ___________ than the tomato. (size)
3. The lime is ___________ than the mango, but ____________ than the lemon. (size)
4. In general, limes are ___________ than mangoes and ____________ than lemons. (size)
5. Lemons are ___________ __________ than tomatoes. (sour)
6. The mango looks _____________ ____________ the lemon. (delicious)
7. The onion ____ ____________ __________ the lemon.
8. The apple ____ ____________ ________ ______ __________.
9. ____ ____________ ____ ______________ ________ ___ _________.
10. The mango is __________ __________ the tomato and the _____________.
11. The mango is slightly _______ _____ the onion, but much ________ ______ the lime. (size)
- A hammer is (useful)________________ for removing a nail ___________ a screwdriver is.
- This New Year, I promise myself to live a (healthy) ________________ lifestyle ___________I did last year.
- We don’t see how any test could be (difficult)________________ ___________ the driver’s license test.