Yes / No Questions
Aux Subject Main Verb Predicate
Does Harry call you every day? -Yes, he does.
Will Jon and Mary be at the party? -No, they won’t.
Can you buy some rice when you go to the supermarket? -Yes, I can.
Asking 10 Yes/No questions about the picture below:
Circle the correct answer:
- ( Is / Are ) the men happy?
- ( Is / Are ) they fighting?
- ( Do / Are ) these men look like they are friends?
- ( Will / Are ) they stop arguing soon?
- ( Can / Is ) the man in the white jacket standing?
- ( Is / Did ) someone cheat in the game?
- ( Should / Are ) the man in the blue seat stand up?
- ( Can / Are ) they having fun?
- ( Is / Are ) these men playing a game?
- ( Are / Did ) they yelling at each other?
Now you form your own Yes/No questions:
Questions using typical question words
Who What When Where Why Which How
Question Word (Aux) (Subject) Main Verb Predicate
Who does Harry call every day? -He calls his mother
What time Will Jon and Mary be at the party? -At about four o’clock.
Who is going to school today? -You and your sister are.
- ( How / Who ) lives in this castle?
- ( How / Who ) was it built?
- ( When / Who ) was this castle built?
- ( What / When ) color is the castle?
- ( How / Who ) many colors do you see in this photo?
- ( How / Who ) would visit this castle?
- ( How / Who ) would you visit the castle?
- ( When / Where ) is it located?
- ( Where / Why ) are there so many arches?
- ( What / Who ) is inside the castle?
Changing statements into questions
Statement: Subject (Aux) Main Verb Predicate
Question: Aux Subject Main Verb Predicate
Mary Ann will read a book this afternoon. > Will Mary Ann read a book this afternoon?
There is a cat under your car. > Is there a cat under your car?
Amelia goes to church every Sunday. > Does Amelia go to church every Sunday?